Monday, September 3, 2007

Family Letter September 3, 2007

We are going to try a new technology and see how this works.

It is labor day and Mom and I are sitting in the office doing different tasks to get us caught up.

She is preparing her Seminary lesson and looking forward to the coming week. She has prepared more little projects and activities and notes and, and, and.... I think there is a time when she will be caught up with all these little tasks and she will free up 2 hours per day. But it is really good stuff. If the kids do not get a lot out of seminary it will not be for lack of effort. She is putting in the time and really doing some good things. With the support of color printers and DVD's and colored paper the presentation is really good. It is really different from what a well prepared man would do with the class but that is the difference between boys and girls. I am glad she has the time and takes the effort to do all the stuff for the kids.

I spent this morning reading over case studies that my students prepared for my CFP class at SMU. We are discussing employee benefit plans and retirement/ pension plans. I had given them information about a prospect company that I worked with. Their task was to design a recommended employee benefit plan for this company to meet the company objectives and desires. It was interesting the ideas they came up with and what their recommendations were. The focus of the exercise was to see how they were thinking and how they justified the recommendations they made. I am a very easy teacher and grade very liberally but through the project and the review of their efforts, I think they will learn what can be done and hopefully it will be of benefit to them.

We had a fun Saturday. We all (Scott, Brian and Mandie, Eric and Sheena, Kristine and Jeff and kids) went to the lake to play. Carrie could not come because of the broken heals, and Mark and Michelle had a sealing to attend. We played in the water, rode the skis and just had a good time. About noon the crowds started to arrive at the lake and we left. We have found that if you get there about 9am and leave at noon, you almost have the lake to yourself and it is quite smooth and lots of fun. Taking the grandkids on the skis is really fun. I had to chuckle though with Matthew, Kristine's littlest. He wanted to go so bad, so he gets on the ski and I get on and sit behind him. We start the motor and make an adjustment and then he says, I want to go back, I am done. I don't think we were 50 from the shore. But stubborn as I am we went on and rode around on the ski. He would continually say "I want to go back." until we hit a wave and the ski bounced, then he would giggle and laugh. When we finally got back and he was on land, he had a big smile on his face and said, "that was fun".

After the lake we came home and went in the pool or sat around and did nothing. A good day.

We had a wonderful fast this weekend. It was good because it had a real purpose that we got our hands around and spend some time with. It is so much better when you fast and have a purpose.

Jill and Randy are struggling with a decision about his work and whether he should change or stay. There are a lot of moving parts to the decision and they just want to make the right decision that Heavenly Father is directing. I am really proud of them for the approach they are taking. Regardless of the decision they will make the correct decision because they are including the Lord.

Scott and Carrie are struggling with health and lots of pressure. Carrie with her two broken heals and Scott with separated shoulder and his CFP exam on the horizon is a lot of goings on. So we included them in the fast. Scott asked for a blessing on Friday and it was a priveledge to go to their home and give them a blessing. Brian came over and assisted and that was a great experience. I am so grateful they are worthy and willing to help.

Mark has begun his nursing classes and it is a challenge for them. He is gone more and has to spend the time on his studies so Michelle is alone a lot with little Tava. So it is hard on them also.

So we included each of them in our family fast. It was a wonderful experience and we are grateful for each of the kids participating. I am certain the Lord will bless each of them in their trials and opportunities.

Marianne and Kimball returned home safely from their trip to Norway. I was a fun and very interesting trip for them. If you go to the http://mcmurdie.blogspot.com website you can click on the link to their blog and scroll down through August 2007 you will see some really good pictures and videos of their trip. That must be really beautiful country. If you can go during the 3 days of summer I am sure it is spectacular. Anyway they had a wonderful time with Kimball's parents and his brother who was released from his mission.

Kevin is doing really well on his mission. He was transferred to a new area further up the arch of the boot of Italy. It is the first Ward he has been in and it is different being in a congregation of 130 members and not having to do something each week. He loves the work. He has a very young companion and so he is getting used to working with a young companion who is just learning how to be a missionary. That will be a good challenge for him to take all the lead and direct the traffic. He is looking forward to the challenge.

Brian and Mandie are doing really well. There little Carter is the cutest little one. He has a great smile and lights up the room with his smile. Abby is growing real hair and it is getting long and curley. When she comes in the room and stops to look around, it is like "ok, everyone I am here and we are going to have a lot of fun." When she looks at you there is a little quizative look at first and then a big smile. Brian has been working on a project in Atlanta recently but it was completed this last week and so he is now on a project locally in the Metroplex.

Kristine and Jeff are settling down really well in their new home and getting lots done. She has painted part of the house and on Saturday while she was here she recovered all the dining room seats in a very pretty fabric. She is doing a lot with her home and it will be nice for them . Because Jeff has no commute to work (he works out of th hanger in the backyard) it buys a lot of time for them and he can spend more time home and more time building his plane. He loves that project and it will be an accomplishment when he is done. He has plenty of space to work in and he is working really hard to make it exactly correctly. He is currently working on the tail section. His next task is a wing.

Eric and Sheena are doing well. We were over to their house on Saturday late afternoon to watch the BYU game. That was fun to watch BYU beat Arizona. They did a fine job, but it was most enjoyable to see how they had decorated their apartment and were trying so hard to do the right things. It is still hare for Sheena being so far from her family but she is really adjusting well and she likes it here. We can sure relate to the torn feelings of being away from family but enjoyin where you are.

Later this afternoon we are going bowling with our friends the Packards and that will be fun. We will make fools of ourselves and then go to dinner to talk about big fish stories. They are really good people and we enjoy being with them.

This week has a few big events for us. On Thursday I meet with a major client and have a presentation there that I hope they make a decision to stay with us as their provider of employee benefits. I think we will maintain it but the next decision is with which carrier. It is an important case for us so we have been putting in lots of time and effort. I will be very dissappointed if we don't keep the case.

Then Friday we have a dinner with a product provider that is kind of an awards banquet. It will be really nice at the Four Seasons Resort. Earlier on Friday I am required to play golf with one wholesaler and on Monday of next week is the Chamber of Commerce Golf tournament. It is not easy taking all that time off but we all have hardships to deal with. I am sure all of you are like me that we would rather be chained to the desk and not be able to get out. I will get over it.

I have started back into the documentation work of the ordinances for our ancestors. With seminary now in session, we are up an hour earlier than we were before. So after my workout I sit to the computer and look up to determine if the temple ordinances have been done for the ancestors on the pedigree chart. It is interesting. Most of the work is done but there are holes. I am looking forward to getting through this next group of people to see how much work we can do on our own. It will be a couple of months before we will be able to check on the results but I am making progress.

I cannot think of much else to say but we love you all and look forward to hearing from you.

3 comments:

Mark, Michelle, Tava, and Connor said...

Congratulations on opening your own blogsite. It's really pretty easy posting, alot better than emailing.

Kimball and Marianne Larsen said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! I am so impressed with how you are keeping up with technology. Great job! Blogging is so fun and easy to do! You'll be hooked in no time.

BMac said...

The real trick to blogging is updating frequently with new posts. I also like the email reminder. Good luck, Mom, with seminary!